Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cankers of the Soul

Some time back, an acquaintaince I had once helped in her time of need took a vicious potshot at me.I should have dismissed it as the desperate whiplash of a soul tormented by jealousy and frustration, but the poisonous shaft struck a raw nerve. And the pain was augmented by a sense of betrayal.

Tempestous rage welled in my heart and rose to my lips as bitter invectives.I desperately wanted to tear her to bits and expose her for the pathetic sham that she was. For days, I raved and ranted to my intimates, most of whom listened patiently and doled out generous amounts of sympathy. Some were outraged. Others asked me to forget the ingrate and get on with my life. But, forgiveness was easier said than done. The hurt had eaten into my being like an infectious canker and no matter how hard I tried to forget, I was unable to get over the feeling of having been taken advantage of.

I wasn't sure if retailation would quell the rage within, but every cell in my body wanted to hit back as viciously.I was convinced that nothing but the sight of my enemy fallen low would assuage the pain inside. Although in reality, anger and my thirst for revenge would have only ravaged my spirit and in all probability, derailed my life. For pain like fire can either consume or temper. It can bequeath us with humility, grace and an appreciation for the blessings in our lives and spur us on to achieve greatness. Or it can erode the largess of the spirit within, sap it of passion and destroy our ability to dream.

Fortunately for me,after my umpteenth crib session, a good friend sensed that I was getting a little obsessive and sat me down for some plain speaking. She did not ask me to forgive nor did she urge me to move on. But instead, she drew upon facts to sketch for me an image of a desperately unhappy person, who was hitting out because she wanted so much from life but had not the faculties to realise her dreams.

And then, she posed a few questions to me:
What could one possibly expect from a bitter, envious soul than anger and venom?
Why transform myself into a spitting image of this unhappy virago, when I had so much more to look forward to?
And most importantly, how much of my time and energy was I squandering in dreaming of ways and means of retaliation?
She got her points through loud and clear. And the reality check was just what was needed to bring me back to earth with a bump.

At the end of our intense conversation, my anger miraculously faded away leaving in its wake, pity and a sense of immense relief.My walk in the shoes of the offender brought home a clear understanding of the environment she came from, its impact on her psyche and granted me greater insights into the cankers of her soul. It also freed my heart of its burden,ironed the frowns from my brow and set my spirit free to once again roam through green pastures in pursuit of its dreams.

As someone once said, the greater your capacity to love, the greater is your capacity to feel pain but while pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

17 comments:

Roopa said...

wow!
cankerous thoughts are our bane, aren't they? we get so trapped in our own mental maze, we seldom reach out to others. but one day, we all forgive and forget, don't we?

Soul-Talkin said...

:)
The sensible ones do let go...but the ones who carry grudges to their grave never cease to amaze me...

Gaurav Sharma said...

awesome!! superb!! so true....

anyways i stumble upon ur site looking for good blog for inclusion in india's first magazine on blogging and blogger and i m bookmarking your blog for our place in our magazine!!
Keep writing ....!!

Ganges said...

Very true and very well written! How come two heavyweight pieces in a row?

Soul-Talkin said...

:)
I haven't the faintest idea, Ganga..Unlike my Moggies blog, when I write on Soul, the ideas possess me and I never know how the piece will shape up until I am ready to hit the post button...
:)

ArUn raFi said...

revenge is too tempting all the time but however if u did listen to ur friend and the revenge sense placated then its great..its not often tht u can actually control iy..i might find it hard to control it..

Soul-Talkin said...

Revenge is indeed a very tempting prospect, Arun but very often, I realise that the adversary is not worthy of my time and effort...:D
For starters, they have very little brains, almost zilch imagination and plenty of time..
I have too much to do and too little time on hand, so I rave a bit and then put the offenders out of my mind..:D

test said...

did u write this jus to vent ur thoughts which were oppressed?? u ve expressed it well.. i usually do this but never post them..

Soul-Talkin said...

LOLS..No, I never write when I am angry because I know I will end up with a really lousy piece..I yell, and get it out of my system ..:D :D
This is just an old memory, which I brought out of the closet to write about a larger idea...Which I know a large majority of the population experience at some point or the other

Comfortably Numb said...

Same old fear...yea everybody goes through it..And youve written it nicely :)

and BTW:

"For days, I raved and ranted to my intimates"

I guess it should be "inmates" in place of "intimates"

Maybe I'm losing the plot..and If im right then I'm afraid that no one noticed it! :)

Cheers!

my blog: www.cherryantacids.blogspot.com

Soul-Talkin said...

LOLS...I did mean Intimates which as a noun refers to close friends..but to be honest, I didn't really like that word, so I am going to replace it with confidant...
thank you for the input!

Gaurav Sharma said...

I tried shit hard to send you reply via orkut but dammn!! u dont accept scraps from strangers...gud!!
so herezz the copy-paste of reply!!

hiii!! yuppss...me the same gaurav who liked your blog and posted the comment.Man!!u have got potential....comment replies are equally good as that of posts....regarding magazine...a magazine named Blogged is in making with the help of some Venture capitalists from hydrabad...magazine will be 70% consisted of content from fellow bloggers.An i hope you won't mind...joining us atleast online to work on this project mainly controlled by students..wat ya say??

Gaurav Sharma said...

crap!! forgot to mention please if not troubling you ,submit your blog in the thread i started in GaufireTechForum
so that other team members of the magazine can visit your blog too...
cheers:))

AJIT NAMBIAR said...

Good Luck chechi , happy blogging :)

People are here to realise your potential

Soul-Talkin said...

:D
Thank u Ajit!
The encouragement of wonderful friends like you is the sole reason that I am still blogging...

Gaurav Sharma said...

hii!! i added your both blogs in links.gaufire.com
C if you can put ma link on your blog too as gaufire and Gaufire.com as URL...
but no 'zabardasti'
Cheers!!:))

man in painting said...

That was an eye-opener for all.Very nicely written.Haven't you heard these lines?
"One who wnow how to win a battle will never fight....."
The writing conveyed the mood.In that sense it was great success.
Visit MAN IN PAINTING.
best wishes.