Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Brother's Keeper

Religion has never been a very big deal for me. And that probably is the reason why controversies, strife and aggression in the name of religion almost always confound me. More often than not, the differences between warring factions seem so insignificant that I wonder why people can't look past them, respect spaces and live together in harmony. And inevitably, my mind races back in time, to my childhood which was spent in the Middle East, where Allah's prayer calls resounded around us at regular intervals several times a day.

We lived in an apartment block inhabited by people from all over - staunch Catholics from Goa, conservative Muslims from Pakistan, Jews from no particular country and Protestant Christians from Europe. It was a very diverse group, which made for a very interesting childhood. I have the fondest memories of my life back then - the wonderful games of make-believe...The stories of life & customs in far off lands...sampling new flavours every time someone returned from a visit to their homeland. But the memories I still cherish in my heart are those of the festivals we celebrated. Be it Christmas, Eid, Diwali, Onam or Hanukkah, we kids participated in all with gusto and enthusiasm... well, largely because of the gastronomic delights which came our way.

I still remember the whirl of culinary activities in Auntie Irene's kitchen in the weeks preceding Christmas..The stirring of the Christmas pudding..The baking and sampling of cookies and logs..Wolfing down plates of the fragrant, delicately spiced Eid biriyani which was laden with tender succulent meat. I remember my brother and me badgering our parents into buying us a Christmas tree and keeping alive the Santa myth with a glittering tree stacked with presents beneath and white stockings bursting at the seams with sweets and gifts. I even remember in vivid detail, my friend Bilal gulping down several large mouthfuls of the holy Lourdes water from a receptacle shaped like the Holy Virgin and declaring to us, that he Superman had drunk deeply of the Elixir of Youth and would now never succumb to the evil kryptonite. As far as I knew, religion, culture and nationalities never came in the way of our childish pleasure.

Not that things were very different when we came to India. I studied in a quaint little convent school watched over by kindly nuns with friends from diverse backgrounds and religions. My best friends hailed from all walks of life and worshiped different Gods. And so, I grew up learning to cross myself in the presence of the Trinity, uttering a fervent Insha Allah after a voiced desire, wish or planned act and praying to Jesus as fervently as I did to Lord Ganesha when I knew I hadn't given my best in an exam!!!

Distance, antagonism and hostility based on religious differences were something that I read of only in history books. I could not conceive of a world where a Hindu could fight a Muslim or Christian or Sikh and even worse, kill one another. But come adulthood and things changed all too subtly. I was privy to adult conversations where at times, people spoke indignantly about religious conversions, diets which propagate cruelty to animals, bigotedness, exclusion...And so many such perceived transgressions committed by other religions, most of which I know are figments of one or the other's imagination.

I still hear such conversations... In restaurants, at stations and airports, at gatherings, houses, offices...And it never ceases to amaze me just how much religion has wedged itself between people, nipping love in the bud and shackling their minds with fear and moral self-righteousness. I am sure that this is not what the pantheon of Hindu Gods or the wise old founders wanted their religion to be. Or Jesus or Allah for that matter. The more I hear, the more I feel that the man-made barriers are rooted in more in fear than in faith.

Fear one may ask in surprise?. Well, yes indeed. I suspect people especially the self appointed guardians of any religion fear very many things - Change, Loss of Self Worth, Loss of Control, Loss of Stature in the eyes of others- and blindly cling to dogmas in a bid to protect themselves in their mind's eye. Religion merely provides them with a convenient guise.

Those of the true faith realise that God speaks to us in the uncanniest of places and often without attendant ceremonies. They are the ones who have great compassion and acceptance for all the creatures that inhabit their world, regardless of their colour, caste, creed, culture or religious beliefs. And they are the people who can live and let live without succumbing to the compelling urge to impose their will and principles on the people around them.

For me, it matters little which God rules in heaven. My most intense conversations with the Powers Above have been in dark, near-empty churches, ancient Buddhist temples, in wilderness and in the confines of my own home. And almost always in solitude. In my moments of aloneness, I often think that we all need to tear down the walls of fear and intolerance which separate us. We are no different from the man or woman who lives across the street. It is only in reaching out with open minds that this world has any chance of peace in it. And if, any of us, are tempted to bend another to his will, the question we need to ask ourselves is "Am I my Brother's Keeper?"

24 comments:

Roopa said...

Your idealism is really infectious dear :)

Rafeeq said...

:) Religion, I always felt it should give up to personal matters, that should never show, or shouldn't hurt to anybody's feelings. We have versatile example in our country, where all religion in a circle with out much depict....!!!!

I felt, depth of all religion is same, they says to love your surrounding, help those who needed, teaches us a culture, where we can live and let others live, thats what i feel the core of any religion.. or what a religion is for.

They should tell us what is relation, what is mom, what is sister, and your neighbor, a fulfilled culture to live.

Soul-Talkin said...

*sigh* Roopa, that's what most people say...I wish it would infect to induce action though.... :):)

Soul-Talkin said...

Rafeeq, I saw another comment from you but its vanished now...:( :(

PSYCHO said...

remind me of john lennons's imagine. i might be wrong about the artist, for i heard a perfect circle's cover. nonetheless...it still is, imagine.

the human brain is a twisted machine. it's brilliance is outdone only by its ability to come with unique ways to destroy its own kind.

religion is one of them. it kicks atomic bombs ass any day.

Soul-Talkin said...

So True Psycho, So True.....
And now that you mention it, I can hear the strains of Imagine in my head...:) :)

Tarun said...

hey nice blog yarr ..

r those pics taken by u r wat yarr bindas hay .

Soul-Talkin said...

Thank you Tarun...
Which pictures were you refering to? The sunset and sunrise on the Ganges? Yes, those were taken by me in December 2007.....

Karmasura said...

how idealistic,

but the truth is, mankind has always had the instinct to loot and exploit. some religions tried to minimize that, while some directed it outwards. now ahem.. i don't need to mention which ones.

that tribal instinct continues to this day. if only your passage is read by the people who matter.

keep writing

Soul-Talkin said...

Attila, thank you for stopping by...Mankind's propensity to loot and exploit is rooted in the individual man's need for control. Religion as seen in the word today is not true to what is set out in the texts but rather is what man has made of it..
Perhaps it is idealistic to hope for a better tomorrow....to hope that man will be able to conquer his baser instincts...But then, I also think if idealistic thoughts and words can make even one man pause to think, then it scores over cynicism..
:) :) :)

Nishanth said...

your soul-talkin took me to your childhood with the initial part of this post.It wud have been great huh living with ppl from diverse culture.And yeah!!..sadly in India its a problem eventhough everyone may act like they dont givva shit.Maybe its injected into every indian knowingly or unknowingly after birth,.growing inside,sometimes nurtured to uneven propotions...which sometimes may spawn into something really unpleasant.Hope the current generation acts differently.

ALAS ....liked your post,narration and especially the way you portrayed your child hood...
keep blogging. :)

Soul-Talkin said...

Oh yes Nishanth, it was fun growing up in a different land, with people from all over..And the fun didn't stop when I came back to India for good when I was in the 7th Grade.
Looking back, I realise that perhaps the nuns, in the convent I studied in, could have thrust their religion down our throats but they didn't..Not even on the protestant christian students. And it was interesting that in a school run by Catholic nuns, Hindus formed the vast majority of the students as well as the staff...
Looking back, I realise that my first steps in defining my spirituality and identifying principles and values for life was taken under the guidance of those wise nuns...
Before I forget, thank you for your words of encouragement...

also blogging at www.3madmoggies.blogspot.com

nitin said...

well said, infact, today the religion barricates are no longer vital! (i wish only for the good).

a symmetry strikes in mind! let me relate this with technology!!! just like all the devices are converging into one (the mobile phone!), we are all also finding each other's features and taking them into!

hope u somehow relate this to the post:)

Comfortably Numb said...

Religion....Ughhh I dont have nothing to say..Even after reading the whole post.

I live to read another day another post on your blog.

Cheers!!

www.cherryantacids.blogspot.com

Soul-Talkin said...

:) Nice Thought That Nitin.....:) :)

Comfortably Numb...Being a non conformist, religion is not one of my favourite topics either...But sometimes, all this hoohah about it gets my goat...this was written in one such moment, filed away and then unearthed recently for a airing before publishing... Look forward to your future visits...:) :)

Arch said...

hello...i felt i was reading my mind when i read this article of yours!!

The only difference is that you arrived at fear as the primary reason. I arrived at insecurity. That people lead such meaningless lives that their whole sense of identity and self is based on just one factor. religion. that goes, they dont exist!! and therefore all the hullabaloo...with tragic consequences.

Actually, i guess this would also qualify as fear :) But you should really try to publish this! Your point is made so nicely, without offending anybody. That takes talent...and Real devotion ;)

Soul-Talkin said...

Hey Arch, Thanks for dropping by... :) :)...And for those words of praise...:D
I can't tell you just how happy I am to have found a kindred soul... *big happy grin*
Yes, insecurity is also a key factor....But for me, fear and insecurity are so closely mingled that I find it hard to seperate out the two...

Anonymous said...

beautifully written and full of hope. but even i can't help but get in line with the rest, that in parts it is a little idealistic. The core of religious problems as you and a commentor very insightfully observed were fear and identity. When religion forms the core of your identity (unlike you and me), you react when you perceive that identity to be under threat. most terrorist movements are reactionary rather than pro active as most would like to beleive, stemming from a feeling of injustice or threat.

Not sure if i agree with your conception of religion though, specially in one part. To say that religious texts are really noble in intention is not accurate. The texts themselves are amoral to interpretation, the violent and non violent interpretation both hold equally true, because the texts allow for both interpretations to be drawn. and since these texts evolved over time, often with the writers having vested interests in using them as vehicles of power, the texts do contain underlying power discourses which are bound to come to the fore (theyre mostly anti female for example).

Soul-Talkin said...

Thank you Pankaj. As a famous poet said " Hope Springs Eternal..."...As I see it, Hope is the only thing which fuels life across the world...Idealism is merely an off shoot of hope, which I still beleive can be actioned if enough people set their minds to it...
Religion is very much a part of my make-up but perhaps because of early influences, my Gods find many different faces..And it is my belief that the Gods and prophets we worship would not want any religion to be interpreted to perpetuate war, killing and intolerance...Life superscedes everything else and the sooner people realise it, the faster we can effect meaningful change...

Abhilash Suryan said...

As Dr. S.Radhakrishnan said;

"It is not God that is worshipped but the authority that claims to speak in His name. Sin becomes disobedience to authority not violation of integrity."

Any one who's sane will have the same thoughts over the recent happenings across our nation. Beautiful thoughts though :)

Anonymous said...

who the prophets were and what their thoughts were, one can never be sure. even i look up to jesus, buddha, gandhi.

but texts are more usually a representation of organized religion, which invariably leads to strife.

i loved one of gandhi's quotes. "to pray all one needs a cloth beneath ones body and a sky above ones head". this speaks of a personal communion with the Force, unmediated by protocols or rituals.

but then again gandhi looked up to gita didnt he.

to come back to the texts, its unanswerable what they mean. and theyve evolved over time, and been added to by various interested parties other than the "prophet". they can be taken to mean whatever the reader tries to draw from them, as both the "good" and "bad" interpretations are equally likely.

AJIT NAMBIAR said...

Nice Blog Chechi ! so I have a partner to look through the Open Window :).

One thing that human don't realise is that Be it Allaha, Jesus, Ram or Buddha they all are considered Gods or a Super Natural power and we humans have no business defame or degrade any of the Gods as its for Gods to settle issues if any among themselves , they have not appointed any single human to fight on their behalf nor they have openly criticized any other God by name in any of the holy scriptures deemed to be sent by them. To err is human so their interpretation of the scriptures and contexts too can be erroneous and misleading. Hence the so called Guardians of the Masses should only look into their business and avoid defamation of other religions. This will surely make the world a better place to live in and follow ones faith.

Anonymous said...

Why have you stopped writing???? You have that element.

WRITE MORE........ We will READ

Soul-Talkin said...

Thank you Sajin, I am still writing but on my other blog, The 3Mad Moggies.
www.3madmoggies.blogspot.com
Do visit when you have the time
:)